Some of you may know that a few years ago I had a brief stint of posting my culinary adventures to a blog during my 6 month stay in lonely Chandler, Arizona for a college internship. I lived and breathed by this blog and it kept me happy while I was living thousands of miles away from friends and family. I started the blog because I had always loved to cook and at the time decided cooking would make a great hobby while living in an apartment by myself for the very first time. I thought, since I was only cooking for myself, I could at least share pictures and stories with friends and family who may be able to taste my creations one day.
I miss blogging and I want to start again. I want to share my cooking through more than a meager facebook status and photo upload. There are stories I want to tell with a lot of the food I cook and so with that, I have decided to open a new blog. A few ground rules I have set for myself/precautions for the reader that are different from my last blog:
1. I will not post every day, and maybe not even every week. I will post when I want and only when I feel inspired to share. No pressure to post as much or as little as I want. Yep I do cook a lot but no, not every recipe is share-worthy. So I’ll spare you the not-so-delicious posts.
2. I will share my recipes!
3. No, I do not have perfect grammar or anywhere near a good writing style. I studied engineering, folks, so please don’t judge.
4. My camera is my iPhone so don’t expect the images to be gorgeous but maybe one day I will upgrade…
5. Sometimes I may not have a whole lot more to say about a recipe other than “damn that was good”.
6. Pictures of Henry are always allowed.
7. Similar to number 6, I may make posts that aren’t about food, or I might not. I am not sure where this is going yet-ooo suspense!
Now onto the title of the blog……greensmoothiewithasideoffries….what in the world???
This title really epitomizes my philosophy when it comes to living and when it comes to my love of food (and I live to eat like I’m sure many of you do as well)! I love living a healthy, balanced life. I exercise almost every single day. I drink a green smoothie every day (and have successfully convinced my husband to do the same woohoo)! I love fruits and veggies. I love learning about good for you and not so good for you foods. I love the way I feel when I’m fueling myself with food that is wholesome.
On the other hand….
I LOVE FRIES and they are probably my favorite food in the entire world. Heck, anything fried is great in my book. I love chocolate. I love cooking decadent food that people love to eat. I love great wine. I love burgers and milkshakes and pasta and pizza and the list goes on.
In this blog I will post some really healthy recipes and also some really really not-so-healthy-but-oh-my-gosh-delicious recipes. I can certainly promise you that the healthy recipes are super delicious too, though! It is all about finding a balance, in my opinion. It is okay to splurge on a piece of Portillo’s chocolate cake as long as that is balanced with eating healthfully and exercising well on the side.
So, let’s start with the healthy-shall we? Here is a recipe for the namesake of my blog, green smoothies. I drink one of these every single morning with my husband and we love the energy it gives us.
Simple Green Smoothie
2 heaping handfuls of spinach
1 cup frozen blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries
1 frozen banana
1 cup ice water (preferably filtered)
Blend all ingredients until consistency is very fluid, like that of a juice with pulp.